Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day

In celebration of Father's Day and my wonderful father in particular, we decided to enjoy homemade brunch.  I decided to do the cooking since he is usually the one cooking for everyone else.  For the occasion I chose an egg bake I'd never made before.  The egg bake was simple to make and quite delicious (every bite got eaten).  I found it on one of my new favorite recipe blogs, Eat Yourself Skinny!  I used Jimmy Dean sausage, and added red peppers and goat cheese to the recipe.  I think those ingredients were key in making this dish irresistible to everyone!

Breakfast Casserole
12 oz. reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
1 medium onion
2 eggs
4 egg whites
2 cups fat-free milk
1 1/2 tsp. stone ground mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 slices firm white bread, cubed
2 cups (8 oz) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
 
The night before, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat in a nonstick skillet until sausage is no longer pink.  Drain and cool.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper.  Stir in the bread cubes, cheese and sausage mixture.  Pour into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment