Thursday, September 5, 2013

Bacon Guacamole Deviled Eggs

Deviled eggs are a food I was never willing to try as a child and grew to like as an adult. The only kind I've ever had are the traditional kind with egg, mayo and mustard (my mom makes a mean deviled egg!).

Until recently, it never occurred to me that an ingredient other than mayo or mustard would taste good with a hard boiled egg. About a month ago, when searching for something to bring to a BBQ, I stumbled upon a recipe for Bacon Guacamole Deviled Eggs on a blog called Closet Cooking. I followed the recipe verbatim (minus tomatoes as I forgot them at the grocery store) and the eggs were a hit!
 
 
Recipe
6 eggs, boiled, cooled, peeled, and cut in half lengthwise
1 lrg avocado, mashed
2T. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1T. jalapeno, finely diced
1T. red onion, finely diced
2T. diced tomato
1T. lime juice (1/2 lime)
1T. cilantro, chopped
salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
pinch chili powder (for garnish)
 
Scoop the yolks out of the egg halves, mash them, mix with the avocado, bacon, jalapeno, onion, tomato, lime juice and cilantro and season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Place a tablespoon of the mixture back into the holes left by the yolks in the eggs and serve garnished with extra bacon and a pinch of chili powder.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment